There have been so many changes in our world, nation, and perhaps in your own life, it’s sometimes hard to keep up.
During your journey through life one thing remains constant; change.
At this time of year, the morning sunlight begins to appear just a bit brighter as it shines through the trees in the yard. The light is returning, longer days of sunlight are ahead and deep beneath the earth seeds and roots are in waiting to move upward. It’s the ebb and flow of nature, emerging and releasing.
Just like nature, there’s a rhythm to life; there are ups and downs, there are exciting changes and difficult ones. The changes that occur, whether you choose them or not, offers you the opportunity to grow, learn and gain wisdom. There is a conflict, chaos and unrest that often appears in change and you may hear a part of youself saying, “just keep things the way they are”. This voice fears the unknown, because with change there is no absolute known outcome.
The following are ways you can support yourself during times of change:
1) It’s ok to have many feeling surface, in fact it’s normal! So be kind to yourself and acknowledge the emotions you may feel which could include sadness, grief, anger, happiness, and joy. Emotions are fluid and they move when you notice them.
2) Talk about the change to people you trust and who are able to listen without judgment.
3) Comfort yourself with something familiar. Perhaps it’s a stop at your favorite coffee shop where everybody knows your name, wearing your well-worn fluffy slippers, or spending time with your loving pet.
4) Return to your center through talking with a trusted friend, yoga, or a walk in nature. Your soul is always peaceful; take time to reconnect.
5) Stay open to the gift that change offers. Ask yourself “what am I learning about myself during this process?” “What is this change asking me to do?”
Change will feel unsettling, even if it’s a positive change, however staying in a comfort zone can cause unrest inside too.
The harbor offers safety, but the open sea offers you the chance to become an explorer in your own life.
The following is a poem I wrote about change, hanging on and letting go:
On the eve of change
Hanging by a thread
Fingernails clutch to what is an almost was
Fill your pockets with words that heal
Wear love on your sleeve
Untie and loosen your voice
When the eve is no more
With a stronger version of your own heart, mind and truth
©Susan Cadley 2017