I heard a poem recited on the radio recently that speaks to the pleasures of the soul; an experience through the senses;
If thou of fortune be bereft,
And in thy store there be but left,
Two loaves, sell one, and with the dole,
Buy Hyacinths to feed thy soul
- What sounds do you love listening to? What feels soothing, energizing, joyful, playful? Think nature, human voice, instruments, technology.
- What are your favorite tastes? What tastes bring back fond memories? What tastes stop you in your tracks to savor the moment?
- What are you favorite colors? What activities do you enjoy watching? What kind of art do you admire? What do you gravitate toward in nature?
- What element feels good against your skin, ie; water, air, warmth, earth? What is your favorite fabric?
- What smells bring back happy memories or feel homey to you? What scents do you favor?
Your senses can direct you to simple ways to feed your soul. Your soul does not make requests for expensive, extravagant, material objects. That’s the ego’s role. The soul experiences.